- This event has passed.
Wisconsin Public Education Network Summer Summit 2017
August 9 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm$25
WHAT: A full day of workshops and strategy breakouts led by Wisconsin public education advocates and experts. Our third annual Summer Summit begins with a special welcome from Dr. Tony Evers, Superintendent of Public Instruction, and closes with the Wisconsin premiere of the brand-new documentary, Backpack Full of Cash, featuring our special guests, Sarah Mondale, director and producer, and Vera Aronow, producer, of the film. An optional dinner follows for those who wish to continue the conversation and connect with other supporters of public schools.
The theme of this year’s summit is GO PUBLIC! – an invitation to all supporters of public schools to stand up for their local schools and “go public” with their stories and their advocacy efforts. Participants will connect, learn, and engage in conversations and action planning with others who care deeply about the future of our public schools. Sessions will cover the crisis in school funding, advocating for schools that provide opportunity and access for all students, nonpartisan organizing & local and legislative advocacy to support local schools, and many other issues identified by our statewide partners — all led by Wisconsin education experts and leaders in education advocacy. Check back soon for the full schedule.
- 8-9 REGISTRATION AND BREAKFAST
- 9:00 Opening and welcome – Dr. Tony Evers, Superintendent Pam Streich, and members of our host team, Citizen Advocates for Public Education, and morning keynote
- 10-11:30 BREAKOUT 1
- 11:30-12:30 LUNCH
- 12:30-1 GO PUBLIC! PLENARY
- 1:15-2:45 BREAKOUT 2
- 3:00 – 5:00 pm Wisconsin premiere of feature-length documentary, “Backpack Full of Cash,” narrated by Matt Damon. Followed by discussion with Sarah Mondale (producer and director) and Vera Aronow (producer).
- 5:30 DINNER (optional)
WHO: All parents, students, educators, administrators, board members, and community supporters of Wisconsin public schools and their students are invited to attend. This is an opportunity to get connected, learn more about the issues facing our students and schools, and learn how you can be a part of the growing movement to support our public schools and the students they serve. Our goal is to create opportunities for local-level actions that have a state-level impact. Whether you are a seasoned expert or just want to learn more or get involved, your voice is needed in this conversation!
SPACE IS LIMITED! Advanced Registration includes lunch. Click “TICKETS” to register now!
Lunch is included with registration (select your meal preference when you register). Chips, cookies, apple and bottled water are included with the following lunch options:
- Smoked Ham and Swiss on a Pretzel roll. Lettuce, tomato and stoned ground mustard spread.
- Honey Turkey with provolone on a Ciabatta, lettuce, tomato and mayo
- Roast Beef with Cheddar on a Kaiser with lettuce, tomato, and with a light horseradish sauce
- Roasted and marinated Vegetables on a Ciabatta, lettuce and tomato (vegetarian)
- Gluten free (turkey) option
Dinner (optional) follows for an additional charge of $20. Continue the conversation over a locally catered buffet at Tyranena Brewing Co, 1025 Owen St, Lake Mills, WI 53551 – just six minutes from Lake Mills High School. Beverages not included.
NEW in 2017! Silent Auction! Bring your checkbooks!
We challenge local teams to help support our schools by donating a big-ticket item or basket that represents the community they serve. To donate a basket or item for the auction, contact Heather at hdb@WisconsinNetwork.org.
Tabling and Vendors
CONNECT! Advocacy teams and non-profit public education organizations wishing to display brochures, sign up lists, etc (specify needs at check-out) are welcome to set up a table in our exhibition space free of charge. You can request table space at check-out.
There is also limited space for select vendors and for-profit exhibitors. Vendor tables are $50 each to vendors upon approval (use ticket option VENDOR TABLE at checkout to apply – fees will be refunded if the application is not accepted).
Wisconsin Public Education Network will also have GO PUBLIC! t-shirts available for purchase ($10 each).
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL – order by midnight on June 30 and save $5 on Summit registration!
- Summit only (includes lunch if ordered by noon 7/31): $25 ($20 if you order by June 30)
- Summit only (student and struggling activist rate; includes lunch): $15
- Summit + Dinner: $45 ($40 if you order by June 30)
- Dinner only: $20 (locally catered buffet at Tyranena Brewing Co)
- GROUP DISCOUNTS available. Use the “group discount” feature to register all members of your team at once and save $5/ticket even after the Early Bird special expires. Want to set up a special discounted or free tickets for your group or organization? Contact Heather at hdb@WisconsinNetwork.org.
Please note that a handling charge from Eventbrite will also be added to your order.
NOTE: It is important to us that all who wish to be part of these important conversations are able to attend. Scholarships are available for those who cannot register due to financial hardship. To apply for a scholarship, email Heather at hdb@WisconsinNetwork.org.
To sponsor a scholarship or make an additional donation to WAES, please add your donation to the “donation” field on the order form. Your contributions make possible our efforts to unite communities in support of public schools!
TRAVEL and LODGING.
The nearest hotel is Americas Best Value Inn, West 7614 Oasis Lane, Lake Mills, WI 53551, located six minutes from Lake Mills High School and just off I-94. Rooms are available for $89/night. Website: https://www.redlion.com/lake-mills. Phone: 920-648-3800. There are more hotel options off the Johnson Creek exit, just 15 minutes from Lake Mills High School, and near East Towne Mall in Madison (30 minutes from Lake Mills).
STAY LOCAL! Several of our local team members have offered to provide lodging for out of town guests. If you’d like to stay with a local host, please select the “need lodging” option when you register for the Summit and we’ll be in touch. These rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
If you’re traveling from out of town, please note that the Summit begins at 9:00 am. Registration and morning refreshments begin at 8:00 am.
This year’s Summer Summit is hosted by our friends at Citizen Advocates for Public Education, Lake Mills. Many thanks to the members of CAPE and the Lake Mills Public Schools for their hospitality and support!